Busted Halo
feature: religion & spirituality
December 17th, 2003

The Waiting

A Job Search That Wouldn't Come to Term


Countless rejection letters… I started losing hope, and gaining weight.

For several years I had worked as a campus minister at the University of Oregon in Eugene. The college town was the right size and pace for me. The Newman Center community was life-giving and filled me with energy. Great job, great location… but time goes by and a change is necessary. This would mean relocation, and I had known it would take some time to make it happen. But this long?

Preparation time
It had been a challenge preparing for an eventual departure whose time was kept hidden (even to me). I had worked to enable volunteers to handle my responsibilities, made provisions for different possibilities, shared resources.

I even prepared my home for the move by cleaning, saving boxes, and giving away items not worth packing. I began savoring relationships and the Oregon environment, knowing that I might soon leave it behind.

The waiting
The job search began. Amidst the rejection letters a couple of invitations to interview arrived. On one occasion, I drove five hours to Seattle to one church for an interview that lasted about an hour—no welcome, no tour of the facility, barely a “we’ll call you,” as I was dismissed for my
five hour return trip.

I clung to a positive attitude: “No problem, I’ll find something else.”

A couple of campus ministries in Utah and Colorado were actually excited to interview me, but they were located in towns so remote I would certainly go stir crazy. I pulled out so as not to waste their time and money or mine. Another interview was in Minnesota. A twelve hour journey to the interview ensued, and a fourteen hour return. It was a great university parish: professional, pastoral, and academic. I would have been great there… but it was so far from any friends or family and cold. I was both disappointed and relieved when they called me with the “bad news” that they had hired someone else.

False alarm
Then—finally—an opening in Portland, just 2 hours from Eugene. The right atmosphere, a great city, nice people, collaborative—it all made it easy for me to say, “I’ll take it.” They went with someone who had better qualifications.

After that one came and went, I gave up searching and tried to put energy into renewing the ministry in Eugene.

Who was I kidding? I started to wonder if I had made mistakes pulling out of some of the less attractive offers. I questioned if I really belonged in church work at all. Was God at work or not?

Going into labor
A time came when I had to leave, even without something lined up. I had enough money for three months of unemployment, maybe four. It felt like I had lost all control of my life, but I walked out of the office on the last day with flowers and cards in hand, my chin up. I would not let anyone see the fear bubbling up in my throat.

For the next two months, I had to trust God and depend on the generosity of those who offered support, encouragement, and the occasional meal.

The arrival
Finally—when the time was right—an opening at a parish church in the San Francisco Bay Area presented itself. From the moment I sent my first email, it was “green light” all the way.

Now I understand that I couldn’t have come to this place any sooner than I did. God’s promise
needed time to gestate, to be fulfilled. I had to wait for something I could not see or control.

It was worth it. Six months later, I am happy and many of the labor pains are forgotten.

Image credits: J.P. Regalado, BustedHalo staff photographer (train station); Ed Nowak,
CSP (winter trees); Oregon (map) and California state web sites (bridge and lake).

The Author : Stefani Catone
Stefani Catone writes from the San Francisco Bay Area.
See more articles by (5).
Please note that the editorial staff reserves the right to not post comments it deems to be inappropriate and/or malicious in nature, as well as edit comments for length, clarity and fairness.
powered by the Paulists