Busted Halo
googling god
The Busted Halo Question Box
Ask our spiritual experts virtually anything!
This is the place where you can ask all of those burning questions that you wouldn't dare ask in person. We will post questions here (using your byline only with permission); we guarantee an answer to everyone.

Have your own question? Then pitch it to us!

Caitlin Kennell Kim
Fr. Rick Malloy, SJ
General Questions
Fr. Tom Ryan, CSP
Ecumenical, Interfaith
Neela Kale
Culture, Moral Theology
Ann Naffziger, M.A., M.Div.
Mike Hayes
Our readers asked:

Where can I study to be a liturgist?

Julianne Wallace Answers:

There are many places in the United States that you can study to be a liturgist! First, you can look into doing a Certificate in Liturgical Studies. Most Graduate Theology Schools (Graduate Theological Union, Catholic Theological Union, and Notre Dame, for example) have programs that you can complete to get a Certificate in Liturgical Studies. If you are looking for a more serious program, I’d suggest starting an MA or PhD program in liturgical studies. Most major Catholic institutions have such a degree program, including the schools mentioned above as well as Catholic University and St. John’s College. If you are just fresh out of high school and interested in becoming a liturgist, I’d suggest starting with a BA in Theology or Religious Studies, which is a popular major at any Catholic Institution.

The Author : Julianne Wallace
Julianne E. Wallace is the associate director of faith formation, worship, and ministry at St. Bonaventure University in Western New York. She earned an M.T.S in Word and Worship from the Washington Theological Union in Washington, D.C. and a B.A. in Music Performance from the University of Mary Washington in Virginia. Julianne is passionate about sharing the joy of liturgy with others and helping everyone to worship well.
See more articles by (42).
Please note that the editorial staff reserves the right to not post comments it deems to be inappropriate and/or malicious in nature, as well as edit comments for length, clarity and fairness.
  • Sandi Stephens

    Andrew, I currently hold a MA degree, so the STEP courses sound like they may suit my needs. Thanks for your help.

  • Chuck Middendorf


    That’s crazy! Perhaps you linked to the wrong St. John’s, but there’s only TWO places in the US with serious programs: Notre Dame and St. John’s in Collegeville. Look where every liturgy professor has their Masters: St. John’s University.

    Yes, many schools have a programs, but St. John’s in Collegeville is the place: the birth of liturgical renewal, the Liturgical Press, PrayTellBlog, etc.

    On the otherhand, I’ve never heard of NYC St. John’s liturgy program.

  • Andrew Casad

    Sandi, Notre Dame (from whence I hold a MTS in liturgical studies) offers a summer MA (http://theology.nd.edu/graduate-programs/master-of-arts/ ) and is working with the existing online program (http://step.nd.edu/ ) to offer an MA entirely online. You can of course take STEP courses online without working toward a degree.

  • Sandi Stephens

    Is there an online program for liturgist study?

  • Chase M. Becker

    I’m a grad student in Liturgical Studies at Saint John’s School of Theology·Seminary in Collegeville, Minnesota. They have a great program here too!

powered by the Paulists