Our writers invite you along on their journeys through Lent. Follow the play-by-play of their personal spiritual practices and share your own.
Click this banner to see the entire section.
JILL – DAY 2: A Surprise, Candy Eggs, Temptation, Friends
Lenten Gratitude: 5x40
1. Surprise flowers at the end of a VERY long, hard week. My life is incredibly crazed right now with some upcoming transition and cool opportunities. This sweet gift literally reminded me to take a moment to stop and smell the roses. #blessed
2. For a bible quote that helped me to prevail today in remembering NOT to eat the foods from which I am fasting : “One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” It’s from the gospel reading that we will hear this Sunday, where Jesus has to thwart the efforts of the devil’s temptations. Reminds me that what I’m doing is nothing compared to that — if Jesus could fast for as long as he did…with the devil tempting him while he did it. The LEAST I can do is fast from a little dessert. :)
3. WhatsApp has to be one of the coolest apps ever. It allows me to easily be in daily touch with my friends in Europe, hear funny audio clips from my cousins in India and make plans for this weekend with a friend visiting from Mexico.
4. For candy eggs — Cadbury, Almond Joy, Snickers, Reese’s. They’re all amazing. Even though I can’t have them right now…I’m super grateful that they exist and that I plan to devour them ALL on Easter. Not to worry, I’m going to reread #2 right now…
5. For my family of friends — who aren’t related to me but love me anyway. Specifically, they know who I am — the good, the bad, the silly, the serious, the articulate, the indecipherable, the passion and the crazy. And, they love, accept and appreciate it all and I love them for it.